Friday, July 2, 2010

kitchen flops: macaron edition



It's true. I've fallen for this little foodie fashion, and have, like so many others, totally flopped in trying to replicate them at home (and let loose a pretty impressive stream of very un-ladylike language in the process). But in the interest of full disclosure and trying to learn from mistakes, I'll let you in on my flops. Oh, don't even get me started on the raspberry buttercream. Totally soupy and a true-blue flop in its own right, but absolutely delicious! Anyway.

It was all going just fine; I had a nice tall iced coffee (crucial to this exercise in total frustration). I had ground the almonds with the confectioners sugar and sifted not once, not twice, but three times. The egg whites were room-temperature and whipped up just so. I had flipped and squashed the batter against the side of the bowl with proper macaronnage form exactly 15 times, and finally had hit the magma-like texture I was shooting for. Yay! So I piped the batter in little circles, rapped the sheet a few times against the counter, and let them dry out a bit before popping them in the oven.

Well, the first batch were cute and tasty, but not even remotely macaron-ish. They were more like meringues, cracked on top, hollow, and smelled a lot like marshmallows. So I went back and did my flipping and squashing routine a few more times, and turned the oven down to 300. Lo and behold, they actually looked like macarons! Well, minus the foot. And quite a lot flatter than I had hoped. But still, I was amazed at how much difference only 5 or 6 more stirs made, and will definitely be revisiting these little jerks for another try.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog. Lady these photo's are gorgeous and I love hearing about your macaron woes. Sounds like a particularly difficult desert, maybe the iced coffee is just scratching the surface when it comes to producing these delicacies try a double espresso and packet of brown sugar to the old gullet (maybe not so helpful?!).

    xoxo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kate! I'm sure I'll take your advice on the caffeine thing... this milky iced coffee stuff is just a gateway drink and I'm on that slippery slope to double espresso.

    ReplyDelete