Friday, September 3, 2010

tomato paella

This is one of those recipes I fall back on when I don't know what to make, especially at this time of year when tomatoes are at their best. It's easy, cheap, quick, vegan, and seriously delicious.

Tomato Paella (adapted from Mark Bittman's recipe on the New York Times)
1. Preheat oven to 450. Warm 3 cups of water or broth in a saucepan. Slice 1 pound of tomatoes into wedges and toss with plenty of salt and pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
2. In a cast iron skillet, sauté one sliced onion and a tablespoon of minced garlic in some olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add a tablespoon of tomato paste, a pinch of saffron threads, and 1-2 teaspoons of smoked paprika. Add 2 cups short grain rice (I use arborio) and stir for a minute or two until shiny. Add 1/2 cup white wine until it is absorbed, then add the water or broth, and stir.
3. Arrange the tomatoes on top and drizzle with the juices from the bowl. Put the pan in the oven and let roast for about 15 minutes. Check to see that the rice is tender and dry; if not, let it roast for another 5-10 minutes, or until done, adding a small amount of water, broth, or wine if needed. When done, turn off the oven and let sit for 10 minutes or so.
4. On the stovetop, cook the paella over high for a few minutes to develop a tasty crust. Sprinkle with basil and/or parsley, if desired. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. This looks great! I'm going to give it a try today, and I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it turned out really well! I actually added some sliced up chicken breasts and substituted the saffron for a variety of other spices (cumin, turmeric... well pretty much just curry in the end). I'm sure that saffron is a fairly mandatory spice in this dish but being a college student I had to watch the price.

    In the end I think I used too much tomato paste and the chicken crowded the pan, and I think because of that the rice didn't really reach its optimal point. But the taste was fantastic, and that's what counts in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add - thank you very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!!! and you just solved my problem of What to Cook Tonight. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I'd love to feature this on Can I get the Recipe? with full links and credits to you if you are keen. Please let me know ASAP!

    ReplyDelete