Friday, October 1, 2010

butternut & apple soup

This is one of my all-time favorite soup recipes, just right for this first day of October. I hope you love is as much as I do!

Butternut & Apple Soup
1. In a large soup pot, sauté 1 large chopped red onion (about 2 cups), 1 medium carrot (about .5 cup), and a medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 6 cups). Let it go for about 15 minutes, until the squash is fork tender.
2. Add .5 teaspoon dried sage, 1.5 teaspoons dried thyme, 2 chopped medium apples, 5 cups of broth and 1 cup of apple cider. Cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes, until everything is quite soft.
3. Blend up the soup (I love my immersion blender for this) and add 2/3 cup milk or soymilk. Garnish with sour cream, if desired, and tuck in!

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite soup. We eat it a lot here. Try some cinnamon croutons with it sometime too. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not really anonymous. i'm your sister.

    ReplyDelete