This is easily my favorite cookie. It's quite small, has little dots of crystallized ginger throughout, coarse sugar on top, and is perfect with a hot cup of joe. I bake them until crispy, but just keep them in a minute or two less for a softer cookie.
1. Combine 1 cup flour with 1.5 teaspoons baking soda, a pinch of baking powder, a pinch of salt, a pinch of nutmeg, half a teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1.5-2 teaspoons of ginger, depending on how gingery you like it.
2. Beat together 4 tablespoons of room temperature butter with 2/3rds cup sugar, then add one beaten egg, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup molasses.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Add 1/4 cup or so of finely chopped crystallized ginger and stir to combine.
4. Cover the bowl and let freeze for an hour or so until firm.
5. Form the dough into balls about the size of a marble, about half an inch in diameter. Roll in coarse sugar and place on a baking mat 1.5 inches apart. Bake at 325 for 9-10 minutes for a crispy cookie. Let cool and enjoy!