Tuesday, February 1, 2011

cornmeal blueberry lemon pancakes


When I saw those blueberries at the store the other day, I knew I'd have to make these pancakes. While I'm generally not big on breakfast food, these are wonderful. Cornmeal gives the pancake a lovely texture and subtle corn flavor, and there's plenty of fresh lemon zest and fat blueberries. I eat them plain, but they'd be delicious with lemon curd or blueberry sauce. Either way, I do recommend you make them!

Cornmeal Blueberry Lemon Pancakes (from The Joy of Cooking)
1. Combine 1/2 cup cornmeal,1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. In a separate bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, 4 tablespoons melted butter, the grated zest from one lemon, and 2 egg yolks. In another bowl beat the 2 egg whites to soft peaks.
2. Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine. Then fold in the beaten egg whites. Clean and set aside 1 cup of fresh blueberries.
3. I use a non-stick skillet to cook pancakes, but any old pan should work as long as you keep it greased. Pour about 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake, less if you like them little, and then place the blueberries into the cooking batter. I usually fit 3 pancakes in my pan. When the batter looks like it's a little set and has lots of little bubbles, flip them. You can make them all at once and keep them warm in a 200-degree oven, or eat them straight out of the pan. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Is this supposed to have some sort of milk or buttermilk in it? I just made it, but it needed something more, the consistency was not a batter, so I just added some buttermilk - if so, what are the measurements? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. YES, there should be 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk in with the rest of the wet ingredients! So sorry about that; the recipe is fixed, and I hope your pancakes turned out!

    ReplyDelete