Tuesday, May 3, 2011

basic tomato sauce

This weekend I stumbled on the deal of the century: 25 pounds of roma tomatoes for ONE DOLLAR. Wow! No way could I pass that up. They were looking a little sad and unloved (some brownish spots here and there), but were still tasty, organic, and just right for saucin'. This is a super basic recipe that's awesome over pasta or as part of my latest weird food love, eggs poached in tomato sauce over toast.

Basic Tomato Sauce
1. Peel, seed, and roughly chop up a metric pantload of roma tomatoes (okay, for one batch I'd say go with 4 pounds of tomatoes, sans skin and seeds). I whizzed up the tomatoes in the food processor, but you could just mash them up in the pot while cooking, if you like.
2. In a big iron skillet or pot, heat up about 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil. When warm, add 6 or so chopped cloves of garlic (more or less, depending on how garlicky you like it). After the garlic starts to brown, add the tomatoes along with a generous handful of fresh, torn up basil.
3. Allow everything to simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Here's where I add about a quarter teaspoonful of fennel seeds and chili flakes, but you can add whatever sorts of herbs you like. I leave salt and pepper for the very end, though, and go easy. That's it! Super easy, and so, so tasty.

1 comment: