Thursday, May 12, 2011

chickpea burgers

Full disclosure: I devoured this little veggie burger a moment after shooting it. And then I made a second and devoured that one, too. SO good. I have 101 Cookbooks to thank for this recipe... it's sure to be in heavy rotation around here now. We did make a few tweaks: instead of using the patties as buns, I went ahead and just slapped one down on a toasty ciabatta roll, since, really, what isn't improved by a really good hunk of bread? Topped it with spicy arugula, grated carrot, and a little lemon-y vegenaise. If I were to do this over again, I'd grill up some zucchini and mushrooms to put on top, maybe with a few sprouts. But really, these patties are beautiful on their own... moist, not too dense, flavorful, and wonderfully savory with a little hit of lemon. Yum!

Chickpea Burgers (adapted very slightly from 101 Cookbooks)
1. In a food processor, whiz 2.5 cups of chickpeas (canned is okay, but I swear by freshly made), 1 finely chopped onion, and 4 eggs until it looks like chunky hummus. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the zest of 1 lemon, and 1 cup of toasted whole wheat bread crumbs. Here's where the original recipe says to add 1 cup of micro sprouts, which I didn't have around, so I threw in a big handful of chopped fresh spinach.
2. Give it a few minutes to come together, then form it into 12 patties. Heat up some olive oil in a skillet and cook 'em on medium, covered, for about 6 minutes before checking on them to see how they're doing. Once they're golden brown, flip them and cook until browned on the other side.
3. Serve on toasted ciabatta rolls with a little mayo, greens, avocado, grated carrot, grilled veggies, pretty much whatever you like. I hope you loved these as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment