Another gem from What to Cook and How to Cook It. This looker is spiced sweet potato soup, and it's a creamy bowl full of chickpeas and sweet potatoes with bright spots of wilted spinach and smoky little snaps of cumin seed and chili. Pair this with some cool yogurt and maybe a cucumber salad? Quite right!
Sweet Potato Soup (adapted slightly from What to Cook and How to Cook It)
1. Toast 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds with a dash of chili flakes. Add some olive oil to the pan and add 2 medium onions, 3 cloves garlic, and a good knob of ginger and sauté until the onion is translucent and starts to brown.
2. Add 4 cups of veggie stock, 1.5 cups drained chickpeas, and about 2 pounds of peeled and chopped sweet potatoes. Cover and cook it up for 15-20 minutes, until everything is nice and tender.
3. Give the whole pot a good mash with a potato masher or whiz it with an immersion blender until it's smooth-ish, with some good chunks still in there.
4. Add several good handfuls of fresh baby spinach and stir it in. The leaves will wilt in a moment.
5. Serve with a good splot of yogurt and some more toasty cumin seed and spice on top.