Friday, June 7, 2013

homegrown honey bees

I recently picked up a copy of Homegrown Honey Bees (beautifully written and designed by Alethea Morrison and Mars Vilaubi, published by Storey), eager to learn more about a hobby a few of my friends and neighbors have been getting into. Truth be told, I'm also a little freaked out about Colony Collapse Disorder (bees are disappearing at an alarming rate!), and wondered how I could help. There's the added benefit of super-useful beeswax, and of course, honey! I loved learning that honey has a terroir, which makes a lot of sense; the bees gather pollen from whatever is growing around (in our case, lots of blackberries, raspberries, and wildflowers), and it comes through in the final product. 

The book is part journal, part how-to; the author tells her own family's story of how they came to keep bees, there are contributed stories from other urban beekeepers, and clear instructions on how to start and maintain your own colony. It doesn't seem easy, exactly, but it does seem approachable, rewarding, and incredibly interesting! Hmm, I may have caught the bug...

No comments:

Post a Comment